Thursday, August 4, 2011

Who Am I and Why Should You Care

Who am I? Well, that's easy enough. I'm a 20-something who graduated from college with honors and a dual degree yet still couldn't find a job. I like cooking, reading, writing, amusement parks, cartoons, dancing, hanging out with friends, Harry Potter and Shark Week. Of course my list of things I like isn't that short (if it was, I think I'd be a rather boring person to be around and I pride myself on being anything other than boring), but that's about the gist of it. I still live at home, and while it's trying at times, I'm living rent-free, don't have to pay for food and best yet- I can still vacation with my family.


We are big into cruising (as it's my mother's proclaimed favorite method of travel) and there are very few Caribbean islands that I haven't been to at least once (if you want a list, feel free to ask. We actually have one with a tally of how many times we've been to each island). I can't push the 'cruise' thing all on my mother; I definitely prefer it as opposed to flying and since we're only 40 minutes away from the nearest port, I've become quite spoiled when it comes to vacationing.


Although I graduated with honors and with a dual degree (marketing and management), I still couldn't find a job. I went into grad school, hoping that I could gain knowledge in a specific field and therefore become one of the few people who is desired by many companies because of my knowledge. Of course, not even two months into my graduate program (Labor and Employment Relations) did I realize that I wanted to tear my hair out and that I would never be happy in a business field. What did I do? Changed my entire life course, of course! I switched graduate degree programs from L&ER to Social Work. I've always been a giving person, a "do-gooder" if you will, someone who likes to help out others. What other course could my life take if not but social work (or perhaps teaching, but for some reason I've just never wanted to be a teacher). Not everyone was as happy with my decision as I was, but through lots of persuasion and research on the field, I managed to get everyone at least half on board with the idea (six months later...).


I know that everything seems scattered and nothing really follows a single train of thought, but it all loops back into the second question- why should you care?


I'll tell you why you should care! I'm just like you! I'm another average (despite my mother's persistent protests against this claim) college graduate who couldn't find a job in this crappy economy and has a list of things she wants to do that is twice the size of her (I'm only 5'2", so having a list of things I want to do that's twice as long as me really isn't that difficult). This has become my bucket list. While some people don't like the idea of a bucket list for one reason or another, I think it's a great way to organize things you want to do in your lifetime. Some things may be extremely outlandish (have my own cooking show on Food Network), and others may be more easily done (get over my fear and ride Kingda Ka at Six Flags), but in the end it's about having the drive to do things that you want, taking control of your life and ultimately doing just what this blog is titled- Carpe Diem. Sieze the day.


So should you care about me? I'd hope you'd want to. If not me, at least jump on with the idea of seizing the day and taking control of your life in order to do things you want to do. This blog is about me and my travels through my own bucket list. If nothing else, I hope I've inspired you to rethink your own concept of a bucket list and if you haven't made one yet to think about making one and taking your own trip(s)!

No comments:

Post a Comment